Federation of Muslim Scholars of New Zealand (FMSNZ) is an association for qualified Islamic scholars operating under At Taqwa Trust and has members in several cities throughout New Zealand.
The Federation’s aims and objectives are:
- Guiding Muslims and non-Muslims towards Islam with wisdom, admonition and peaceful dialogue in fulfilment of the statement of Allaah, the Exalted:
“Say: This is my way; I call to Allaah on the basis of clear and convincing proof, I and those who follow me. And exalted be Allaah; I am not one of those who associate partners with Him!”
(Qur’aan 12: 108)
- Answering Muslims’ questions on Islamic issues with correct and unbiased verdicts based on the Qur’aan and the authentic Hadeeth.
- Responding to non-Muslims’ questions about Islam and clearing any doubts and misconceptions where necessary.
- Establishing masjids and Islamic schools for Muslims throughout New Zealand according to their needs and available resources in cooperation with At Taqwa Trust.
- Assisting Muslims in solving their individual, communal and financial problems.
- Making reconciliation between Muslims, whether they are individuals or organizations.
The Federation’s members – Muslim Scholars of New Zealand:
- Shaykh Dr. Mohammad Anwar Sahib
- Shaykh Asrarul Haque Obaidullah
- Shaykh Kabba Bah
- Shaykh Hemayatullah Haqiqzai
- Shaykh Rasheed Ahmed
All of its members are graduates of the Islamic University of al-Madinah al-Munawwarah and are fluent in both Arabic and English. They follow the doctrine and methodology of traditional and mainstream Muslims, the Ahl-us-Sunnah wal-Jamaa’ah, endeavouring to practise and propagate Islam in its pure and original form – as it was revealed and as it was understood and interpreted by the first three generations of Muslim scholars, including the Four Imaams: Aboo Haneefah, Maalik, ash-Shaafi’ee and Ahmad ibn Hambal (May Allaah have mercy on them all). The Federation’s members aim to be balanced and unbiased in their positions and do not stick rigidly to the teachings of any particular sect or school of Islamic Law.
The Federation has held educational seminars jointly with local Islamic centres and masjids 6 times in many cities including: Wellington, Auckland, Palmerston North and Dunedin. Topics and themes of past seminars have included the following:
- The Belief of Ahl-us-Sunnah regarding Allaah’s Beautiful Names and Lofty Attributes
- The Finality of the Prophethood of Muhammad (sallallaahu alaihi wa sallam)
- The Belief of Ahl-us-Sunnah regarding the Four Righteous Caliphs (May Allaah be pleased with them)
- The Way of the Seeker: How to Seek Authentic Islamic Knowledge
To contact the scholars, send questions or arrange a programme at your mosque, please use the Q&A form.